Saturday, June 28, 2008

Five Years

Today is my fifth anniversary to the prime specimen of husbands. Bryce is a blessing beyond blessings... and the pickle of my eye. I have only learned more to love since I married him- his character and his capacity to love just runs so deep.

How better to celebrate one's fifth anniversary than with a surprise party 2 weeks early? That's what Bryce thought, too, since he is in Ghana now. I was not the most compliant surprisee, my sister was charged with keeping me busy on Friday afternoon (for six hours! tall order!) and I really just wanted to go home. She kept me out forever at Target and THEN acted like she wanted to deep talk... it was difficult to tear myself away, but I did... then when I walked in my house and saw all my favorite people, I really couldn't have been more surprised. So surprised that I couldn't even figure out WHY they were surprising me- good thing there was a banner that said "Happy Anniversary."

I really think the main reason he wanted to have a party was so he could toast me and our love in front of all the people who love us so well. He said he had a longer toast planned... which involved a song... but he waited to sing that until later. 5 or 6 people did stayed long into the night for the dance party portion- whew!

One of the best parts was the present he gave me- a back porch! He has been working on it for months. It used to just be the cement part with the overhang- FILLED with junk- now the junk is gone, he laid a brick patio and made an area beside the house with a table and chairs. We ate breakfast and dinner out there all weekend. Such a great space that we have never been able to use!
If anyone wants to keep up with this lovely man while he is in Africa, here is the blog that the team has been posting on (look carefully and you will find his ear: smi-ghana.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Josh Crews said...

Cool. I think I took both pictures, one you knew about, one you didn't.