Thursday, November 12, 2009

We are here!


Oh, my. Why do I (not ever) blog? I thought I would do it more now that we have moved and I have a surplus of downtime... but I think I packed my downtime in one of these boxes and haven't come across it yet. And I never download pictures... which is probably the real reason.

In any case... we are here! We have started the Eichelventure of North Carolina. Robbinsville, NC, to be exact. Yes, of course you have heard of Robbinsville... it is the home of the Tail of the Dragon for you motorcyclists, it is sandwiched between 2 beautiful lakes and the AT, and most importantly, it is where Nell was filmed and where this scene from my Dad's all-time favorite movie was shot (you should wait for the inappropriate soundtrack for that clip... who does these things?).

Robbinsville, population 2,oo0 (8,000 in the whole county). There is no hospital in Graham County (which is why Bryce gets to work in an ER in a primary care clinic here- nice), no Wal-mart, no coffee shop... and only a smattering of traffic lights (maybe 5? 8?). We DO have a good grocery store and a mexican restaurant, thank God! What I have been surprised by since arriving is that this lifestyle is not such a huge adjustment. Raised in a small town, I think I have basically lived like a small-town girl in every city where we have lived. We eat at the same couple of restaurants instead of always looking for the new best thing. We go out to concerts, shows, museums only sporadically (and Asheville is only 1.5 hours away). We walk, we bike, we cook, we have friends over. The only thing lacking here is sidewalks... and friends! Well, and a place to meet up with these friends when I don't want to clean my house...

There have been some aspects of life here that are seem refreshing to me, and totally natural. We went to a Halloween festival at the local high school (which is the center of the community- same as Dickson). As we drove away, Bryce commented that no high school in Atlanta would have ever hosted an event for families and small kids. That is just not what high schools are for... in the city. Weird. I also now remember why we spent all of our time in high school "driving around" as a destination in and of itself. Come to think about it, that is how Bryce and I spent the majority of our dating time in Rome, Ga. That and walking, lots of walking, which is another post for another day. Baby and I have some driving and hiking to do today!

5 comments:

ruth brown said...

hello eich's!!! we miss you so! Stumbled across your blog today while brennan is hollering for me to get him up from his nap even though he hasn't gone to sleep yet. I need to call you soon so we can catch up!
~ ruth.

Architreks said...

Yay! You're back in blog-land! Your new town/county seems incredible. SO glad you have a Mexican restaurant. :)

rachelaine said...

Beth! I've been waiting for this post....
I have so much to ask you! Glad to see smiles and a hiking baby.

Jeremy said...

Sounds wonderful; hope you guys are adjusting. Miss you even though seeing you was sporatic. Hope you have a good coffee maker, without a good barrista there!

Ariana said...

{{{Squish}}} Until I see you again. (soon!)