Wednesday, January 28, 2009

As if you wanted to know...

Okay, this is from Facebook, but I thought I would go ahead and post it here, too.  What is a blog but a central place for all one's narcisistic randomness?
 
25 Random Things about Me

1. 4 people had to tag me before I broke down and did this.
2. I like telling stories more than sharing facts.
3. I consider myself lazy (though I use the term "cozy" in my head). I thought motherhood would change that... I will let you know.
4. I hate veins (my own especially) and am most aware of them when I walk into hospitals and nursing homes. I am getting light-headed typing this. When I am aware of veins, I have to uncross my arms and legs (and I just lifted my wrists OFF the keyboard). Don't ever check my pulse.
5. The hardest thing I have ever done is birth a child. Don't know what I was expecting, but it was harder. I can't believe how beautiful that slimy screaming boy was and is.
6. I think cloth diapering is easy and am willing to evangelize.
7. My two favorite adventures were hiking and camping in the Picos de Europa in Spain (because of the cows with bells on and the soup and wine we had afterwards) and backpacking in Aspen, Colorado (it snowed, Bryce needed my help, and we stayed in a swanky hotel after)
8. My husband causes me to attempt more physical feats than if I had married my lazy twin. I love that he always wants to be outside in all weather and gets me out there too. It makes coming back in so much more fulfilling than if you never left.
9. I have just become a person who bakes bread, which I see more as a character trait than an action, and I hope that trait becomes true of me now that I am attempting the action. Hmmm...
10. I love making things, but hardly ever finish things. I have 9 projects that were supposed to be Christmas presents that still are not complete.
11. I love old things much more than new things and my mom tells me to stop buying junk from thrift stores until I go through my grandmother's attic. Old fabric is my real weakness.
12. I make things in ridiculously complicated ways, because I think is inherently better if it is harder. I insist on hand-quilting instead of machine-quilting. What this means in reality is that I send all quilts home with my grandmother so that she can just do it for me.
13. Come to think of it, I would rather cook from scratch, too.
14. I feel deep shame in the summers when produce from our garden goes bad before I use it. I really feel guilty even talking about it.
15. I have broken five or seven bones (some were just stress fractures), had a root canal because of sledding incident, had a nosebleed caused by a pencil up my nose, have been hit by my own car (just caused another nosebleed) and have been hit in the face with a rake. I don't consider myself particularly unlucky.
16. My husband is the biggest hearted person that I have ever met. I truly feel that the world would be better off if they could all be friends with Bryce.
17. My favorite urban adventure was going to San Francisco with my sisters last summer. Gordon Girls Take on Napa in a Mini Cooper! Woo-hoo!
18. Katie is the most common name in my phone. Josh is second.
19. I LOVE Willie Nelson and Lyle Lovett. I like to think that they love me, too.
20. My sisters and I would put on talent shows and "Star Search" and videotape it. I did a ribbon dance to "Man in the Mirror" once- very moving. We also acted out "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany in my grandmother's barn.
21. If I had to pick a place that I identify with most, it would be my grandmother's farm in Joy, Kentucky.
22. When we were little, we go into the woods behind our house in Dickson and come out in a little field with a gate and a water culvert where our Hawaiian Barbies like to swim. We called this place "Hay Hotel."
23. I won the Spanish Medal in high school, but didn't learn to speak it until I went to Peru for two months. I love seeing my Venezualan in-laws because I get to practice. I always sing kid's Bible school songs in Spanish and I always talk too loudly.
24. I am a very self-involved person and LOVE attention, but these 25 things are wearing me out.
25. This year I hope to spend lots of good time with people I love. That is very important. I hope lots of good food is involved as well.

2 comments:

Flo Paris said...

You are SO funny and SO cute, and this list makes me upset that I've lived here a year and haven't gotten to know you better.
Let's change that, mmkay?
I'm always up for girl's nights away from kids. I know that makes it sound like I don't like them, I really love them, but I love girl's nights too;)

ps-I had a huge obsession with Tiffany, but only because I read in teen magazines (as an 8-10 year old) that she was BFF with Debbie Gibson, who I was even more obsessed with.

Melanie said...

Hi Beth!

Easiest bread recipe EVER:

3 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 12 oz. can or bottle of beer

-Mix it all up, cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
-Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.

Now, obviously, different beers make different breads. I like to go for a nice brown or red...the dark ones haven't turned out so well and the light ones are boring.

Lastly, make sure you cover it while it's still warm so it retains some of the moisture. It's a dense bread, so it can get dry.

Absolutely delicious warm with butter. I even eat it for breakfast with jelly, which I highly recommend.

I realize you probably enjoy the mixing, kneading and rising time of "real bread" baking...but if you just want some good, fairly quick homemade bread, this will do it.