Friday, January 16, 2009

Sharing Lives

I think that one of the things I have enjoyed most about Nashville living is having people over for dinner.  I am no good at planning, having food ready or forks clean when people show up, but I just love sitting at a table with new friends and old friends and sharing food and conversation.  
The first time we had people over after we moved into our house, I was convinced that I had to serve APPETIZERS since I now had a table to serve people on... unfortunately I was just putting the stuffed mushrooms into the oven when everyone arrived- I hadn't even started the main meal yet.  Everyone else stayed busy with gin and tonics while I made biscuits, started a fire in the oven and had to finish the salmon in the microwave.  Bryce showed up 45 minutes late with our new 80 pound hound dog to a smoky, tipsy house!  Quite a night.  
Be warned that if we have you over for dinner, you may show up to more people than I warned you of (sorry, Lisa and Dustin), you may have to make the salad (thanks, Lisa!), find your own bowl for the hummus (thanks, Katy!), invite yourself (thanks, Katie and Tish!), slice the cheese (thanks, Dustin!), share a napkin (thanks, Bryce!), hold the baby (thanks, Emmy!), check on the pie (thanks, Amy!) or help with the grilling (good job, men!)  I don't plan on getting it together any time soon... but I DO plan to keep having people over to share our lives.

6 comments:

Katy Bowser said...

Your friends all love that you love sharing your home, too! Eichelnights are wonderful. A Hutsonight needs to happen, soon! I've got pizza crusts...

Anonymous said...

consider myself inviting myself.

linda said...

beth! i just found your blog. anyone would be Blessed to fold your napkins or slice your bread.

Ariana said...

I love it! Can Matt and I add another baby to the mix? :)

Sarah said...

I really enjoyed this post. Being in community and keepin' it real is such as blessing.

Anonymous said...

I just craved burgers at the right moment and facebooked about it. Providence! Turns out, after some searching, the best place for burgers in east Nashville really is your house. In fact, it may be the best place for burgers in the entire southern United States. It is always a thrill to see you guys (with food or without, but especially with ;-) ).
tish