Sunday, August 30, 2009

Classic Country

I can't be ashamed of who I am. Driving home from the farm last week, I had very few options for radio stations, and I chose classic country all the way. I don't mean old school americana cool country, I mean 80's and 90's pure cheesy all the way. It made me so happy.

I sang this one, which oddly my dad always said reminded him of me. I really wasn't a rebellious teenager, I just didn't comb my hair ever.

Then I had a lovely time with this song, which really made me want to own a karaoke machine. I love karaoke all the sudden. Kate Tanis, if you ever read this, you did this to me. Then of course, who doesn't love this song? Maybe a lot of you don't, but if so- I don't want to hear it. Also, as I am finding these videos, what is up with the "scene-setting intro" on so many music videos from the 90's? Interesting.

As a personal history sidenote, my family got cable when I was in high school. We were infatuated with CMT for a time and we recorded our favorite music videos onto a VHS tape and would watch them A LOT. It was sort of a VHS mix tape of sorts. I remember "She's in love with a boy" being on there, "God Blessed Texas," some Clay Walker song that I really loved, and oh so many more. I am sure that tape is still at the house.

Then, I heard a couple of new songs that renewed my faith that country music is still tugging heart-strings and making me cry, even when I know better. Thanks, Brad Paisley.

And this new song (the Alan Jackson one) reminds me of my mom, who is unashamed in her love for country. Me too, mom, I just don't always admit it.


8 comments:

Architreks said...

Thank you for this post! :) I am rocking out at work. Since there are zero country stations on Oahu (can you believe it?), this makes my day! I too love cheesy country music! Woo!

Architreks said...

This one gets me every time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKipMUbXPKo

Ariana said...

No shame! And that Brad Paisley song makes me boo hoo!! I'm such a sap at heart.

Amy said...

I was thinking of you guys last week when Mom & Dad were here, and Daddy learned how the wonderful world of iTunes could transform his listening pleasure. I was thinking of you guys as we were listening to the Limelighters, Bon Jovi, Waylon, Willie, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Lorrie Morgan,and Kenny Rogers (remember Bryan & The Gambler?) and a little CCR and Janis Joplin. Been singing Luckenbach, Texas for days now... Let me be the first to say I am proud of my Gordon musical taste, and I am proud of your cheesy country adventures.

Unknown said...

And just why should I be ashamed of loving country music? It is great stuff. I do kind of hate to admit I watched Pure Country again last night. Oh, well, what can you do?

Melanie said...

Oh, how I loved "Strawberry Wine." It was more pop-country, I guess, but it was as close as I could stand to get.

Will Faircloth said...

You'll have to name the songs for me because "viewing options are unavailable in my country" - don't leave me hanging. Your post makes me think of freshman year when we were blasting Baton Rouge in my car and we locked Will in so he couldn't escape. It was pure torture for the boy - he still brings it up.

Bryce said...

Yeah, I love "Strawberry Wine," its kind of autobiographical for me.