Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Urban Valentine

I have a bit of an attitude about Valentine's Day.  I think it is wrong for an entire society to try to force me to spend money to prove my love.  Bryce and I don't really do the present thing.  Usually a homemade card and baked up tasty treats is enough for us.  We do like taking any opportunity we can to celebrate, though.  I mean, really- how astounding is it that I get to be with Bryce?  I sincerely cannot get over it. His love is such a gift.

I think we needed to celebrate all the more this year.  Having a totally dependent wee babe is very new for us.  With Bryce in school and working, it does take a bit more effort to actually pause and look at each other in the middle of busy weeks.  So that is what we did.  

I suggested the Frist, Bryce thought we should walk.  After he spend a good part of the day studying, we jumped in the car and stopped to pick up the best hot dogs ever.  I got vidalia onion marmalade on mine.  Oh my.  Then we parked at the stadium and walked across the pedestrian bridge to downtown.
Wee and Dad and the Cumberland River.
Then we walked up Broadway like crazy tourists (actually we just had crazy tourists bump into us), gave some money to the man playing mandolin and walked up the hill to the Frist.  We spent alot of time at the Paint Made Flesh exhibit... probably because Wee was asleep then.  I loved it.  We passed quickly through the Medieval Collection from Cleveland, much more quickly because Eli was getting hungry.  Bryce wished we had more time with that part, the statues from 200 AD were pretty astounding. The Frist has an "interactive area," and we went there and drew each other. As you can see, whoever wasn't drawing was holding the baby.

Then we walked back as it was getting dark.  We picked up Katie and went to Baja Burrito for dinner.  It was a lovely double date (Eli hearts Katie) to end a lovely day!  Oh, actually, we also made a chocolate cake when we got home... because you HAVE to have chocolate on Valentine's Day.  I think I shall go have a slice right now.





1 comment:

Architreks said...

Hi Beth! My mom sent me the link to your blog months ago...and I promptly lost it, but have now found it again! Hurray! Lovely post for a lovely day. I like what you say about love being such a gift. Awwww! And now I will go back and look at all the cutie pictures of Eli. Hope all is well!